Connect to the universe of racingTM

news / Horse Racing

Cups dream worth more than $3 million

BY Trent Masenhelder - @tmase04
5 months ago Horse Racing

Top three-year-old Gingernuts (Pic: Getty)

The opportunity to realise a dream of having a runner in the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups is the reason connections of dual Group 1 winner Gingernuts turned down a mega-bucks offer for the Kiwi cult horse.

According to part-owner Blair Alexander, the ‘G-Nuts’ crew recently rejected an offer of $3 million (gross) from Hong Kong.

“It’s a pretty big gamble, but a lot of us don’t have huge shares in the horse, so although it’s a big offer, it’s never going to be life-changing; the potential of having a runner in the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups could be,” Alexander told G1X.com.au.

“It was a case of heart over mind in some regards.

“We’ve rolled the dice and we’re going to have a crack.”

One of the most promising stayers in Australasia, Gingernuts was purchased by New Zealand’s biggest buyer, Te Akau Racing’s David Ellis, for $42,500 at Karaka’s Ready to Run Sale in 2015.

Ellis kept 30 per cent, with the remaining 70 per cent snapped up by Alexander, a friend of the Ellis family, who then brou...

RELATED STORIES

Thank You

You are now registered! Thank you & welcome to G1X - the universe of racing.
Close

Have You Joined G1X?

Already A Member?

If you require any assistance logging in, please contact us via email at: help@g1x.com.au and one of our friendly support team members will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
{{login_error}}
I have read, understood and accept G1X's Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy and I consent to G1X contacting me in relation to horse racing related opportunities including buying a share in a thoroughbred horse, opening a betting account with one of G1X's Betting Partners or becoming a member of The Cup Club or a racing Club.

Forgot Password?

{{forgot_error}}
{{forgot_message}}

Thank You

Thank you & welcome to G1X - the universe of racing.